Skip to main content

"Whoever said you cannot buy happiness, never bought a puppy"

He was only five months old when his owners decided to relocate him. That was when my father decided to adopt him, and that was how our family of four found the fifth member.
Oli, as we fondly named him was a cute Pomeranian, different from the rest of his breed by way of his stronger, more ruggedly built doggy frame, stout legs & broader muzzle. None of us had the faintest idea of how our lives would change, of how, years later, everything would come to remind us of the dog who had become an integral part of our lives. Be it the corner of the door…a platform so small and narrow, it was a wonder how he managed to fit-in his butt there, without falling off, or the diwali crackers, which used to be scary episode for him.
I would never forget the times, when my Oli could not stop dancing for joy, when we returned from a week long vacation. It was almost like dancing, barking, & jumping madly all around us was just not enough for him to express the joy of having us back… Can any human be that expressive…? Show (for that matter, Feel…) that pure joy…!!
A pup can be the best gift that can be given to a child. The bond that develops is one that lasts for a lifetime. Also, I believe it is one of the best ways to teach s kid about love, understanding & being sensitive to others' needs and being responsible for someone.

You grow with your pet & He grows with you. You learn to understand his moods & needs, and he adjusts to yours. No wonder they say dogs are best companions man can have. Dogs are very sensitive to your moods. I know the gloomy days, when I would sit alone in the courtyard & Oli would come and sit close to me…leaning against my legs…Poking me with his nose to get me scratch his ears…Words were not important & yet I would feel comforted. Just look into those brown eyes of theirs… any dog’s for that matter, and all you will find in them would be a longing …innocent helpless longing to be loved.
It must be understood that, like individual, dogs come with their own set of peculiarities & you gradually learn to love them for those. Their high energy level, their innocent mischief and loving ways will bind them to you forever. Like a child, a dog also needs intelligent handling. It is true; you can tell a lot about the person by judging the dog. All dog owners would agree that it is of vital importance of training a dog for discipline & defining limits for him.
All this comes with a warning.
Pets are not replaceable. The saddest part is that dogs have a short lifespan. Death of a pet is a heart wrenching experience. One never recover’s from it. To have your best friend dying like that is not easy to take…and what’s more, there is only little you can do about it. They give you so much joy & are so intimate with your life, that their absence is something like a piece of missing puzzle. You just don’t feel complete.
So here is the question I haven’t been able to answer to myself. Is it better to have had a pet, that was so much a part of your life, that even thinking about its not being there anymore makes your heart heavy, or never to have experienced those moments of sheer madness & joy, that only a canine can bring & to never have felt the pain of losing a beloved??
It is very much similar to the oft repeated question---- "Is it better to have loved & lost, than to never have loved at all..???"
Find it out for yourself.

Comments

Rahul Jain said…
I am still new to blog world and haven't read many so far but this one (Oli's) is touching and a very innocent blog.
Rahul Jain said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Kedarkantha Memoires - 1st – 6th April 2017

Exhilarating! Breathtaking ! Absolutely Fantastic! Words fall short to describe the 4 days of trek to Kedarkantha summit , a journey, that was like a breath of fresh air, breaking the monotony of our mundane lives, giving us the instant boost and a treasure trove of memories! Want to pen down the experience, before it starts to fade gradually, till only the faint highlights remain, of what was one of the best experiences of my life. Day 0: We prepared to leave for Dehradun by train from New Delhi.  Sleepy, since the train scheduled to depart at 11:50 PM, is usually late by 15-20 mins. Day 1: Reached Dehradun. Pickup organized by Indiahkes team. Dehradun station is the pickup point for several treks – Nag Tibba, Har Ki Dun & Kedarkantha. Seeing fellow trekkers, with the standard decathlon gear gives rise to a feeling of camaraderie. Couple of enquiries later, 3 of us are in a bolero, accompanied by 2 guys from Indore, on our way to a quaint village by the nam

This & That

Hhhmmm…. Starting the post with a quick update. The worst thing that could have happened to me, took place on the fateful evening of 27 th June, when the office order for change in existing seating arrangement was circulated. Uprooted from my cozy place…where I could spend my free time browsing my favourite Sites …catching up with friends etc, now I sit (uncomfortably) with my computer screen clearly visible to the prying eyes of passersby. Review presentation over. Was something of a task…..describing the value addition in me (where there had been none) and giving details of the (managerial) activities I’d been involved in during the past year ( where all I’d done was donkey’s work). Another bit of news, that made my day, was when I got to know that my friend is expecting. The one who was with me in school centuries ago… God!! How fast time flies. Nothing very great happening on the personal front. Guess that sums it up. Now coming back to where I s

Losing A Piece of My Soul...

I came to you the hour I was in pain Looking for answers, I cried to you in vain. I shared the many skeletons hiding in my heart,I knew then you'd be my friend, I knew it from the start. Troubles ran like rivers, flowing through my life, You picked the pieces up and help me through my strife. When home wasn't home to me no more, You opened up your heart, and opened up the door. We cried into night until the early morn. We solaced each other's pain and shared our many thorns. As time flew, the air grew thick, I saw our friendship fading, and my heart grew sick. The day had arrived,When it was time to say goodbye. Now I sit alone,reminiscing the past I'd blown .