Skip to main content

My First Himalayan Trek - A memory for life...



" Once you are in the mountains ,there is no such thing as an easy trek !"

Those were the words from our trek leader, as we kicked off a 2 day trek to Nag Tibba . 10 minutes later, I couldn't agree more ! ( for different reasons though ;) )

In hindsight, 3 lessons learnt:

1. Prepare : Fitness requirements not to be taken lightly  ( It would be a much more enjoyable experience, when you are not huffing and panting, wondering how on earth you would to climb up to 10000 ft, with heart pounding & lungs on the verge of collapse after every 20 steps )
2. Friends  : Go with people who are fun ( unless you are one of those out and out extroverts, who can make friends , whenever-wherever !!)
3. Shoes    : Invest in a good pair. It can make or break your trek. (I would have been dead and gone esp. During the descend, otherwise )

Bottom line : 
Trekking is your time out in the wilderness, testing / pushing your limits. It is not for people expecting a lazy weekend off !

For me, It started on a regular mundane day, when something inside me snapped, and I landed on the website of INDIAHIKES.  Saw the pictures, read a few articles and I was sold. Wanted desperately to experience it first -hand and yet I was under no false impression about my fitness, or rather, lack of it.
Zeroed down to Nag Tibba, as it suited my set of filters - easy trek, only 2 days, not too difficult to reach the base, good for beginners.. Done deal !!!
Motivated a friend to sign up for the same...

While I knew it was important to prepare, could not find as much time as I would have wanted. Nevertheless.... All things done, we landed at Dehradun station on 5th Nov,  at 6:30 am for the pick up . It was a 4 hour drive to the base.

We assembled around the ledge of a quaint village of Pantwari, which was nothing but a handful of huts along the slope. This was the starting point of our beautiful journey. Our group of 26, was as diverse as it gets comprising of doctors, college students, techie fellows and boring nondescript corporate people.

After a briefing on do's and don't s , we started the climb. It wasn't easy for sure. Whether it was the terrain, or difficulty in getting into the initial rhythm or my lack of preparation, within the next 15 mins , I was having second thoughts... Did I underestimate the difficulty...?




Nevertheless, we kept moving, each group at its own pace. We reached the base camp by 4:30 pm. The experience of sitting there , outside the camp, watching the sun set was worth EVERYTHING !! It was heavenly. After sunset, the clear starry sky looked so beautiful, that it almost felt unreal. I'm sure all Delhites would agree...we don't get to see starry sky.
Not much to do after sundown, especially with the temperature also dipping and the fatigue setting in. Following a quick round of introductions, casual chitchat and dinner, all settled down in their tents. We had walked 5 km, up from 6000ft to 8000ft .



Next day was the summit climb, needed to start early.
Tea was served at 4:30 am. It was a test of will power, to open eyes and get out of the cozy sleepy bag. Words fall short to describe the feeling of getting out in the dark with only stars and torch light to guide as you go about the morning business, in temperature barely above freezing point.
A humbling experience !

















All said and done, we were off to scale the summit by 6:30-7:00 am, and this was once again going to be a 5 km, 4 hr climb.
For some reason, it felt slightly easier.
The guide with us reasoned that unlike the previous day, we were walking through the forest instead of walking under direct sun. It was beautiful....


We had views of snow covered peaks. Even walked across grass covered with a layer of frost.
Spent some 30 minutes at the summit, resting, taking selfies, groupies.. 😃

Wanted to etch the memory of being there, and the experience of getting there, forever, into my heart !!!

It was a relatively easy descend to the base camp, and from there to the starting point, where our vehicles were waiting to drop us back to the railway station.

The entire experience was refreshing to say the least. Being cutoff from rest of the world, being in the lap of nature, breathing freshest of the air, drinking from rivers and springs, gazing up into the night sky, witnessing the breathtaking sunrise and sunset, was food for the soul.

I want more of it ! 
❤❤❤

Comments

Hike Brother said…
HikBrother Adventure Trek And Tour.

The Valley of Flower Trek is a legendary trek. The world knows of it! Many tales have been spun around this Valley Of Flower Trek – usually about trekkers falling unconscious from the heavy scent of flowers on the Valley of Flowers Trek is a vibrant and splendid national park reposing in West Himalayas.Har Ki Dun Trek is a picturesque valley nestled in the western part of Gharwal Himalayas. It is a cradle shaped valley located at the base of Har Ki Dun peak and accessible through Govind National Park which is rich in flora and fauna.Nag Tibba Trek (Serpent’s Peak) 9,914 ft, is the highest peak in the lesser Himalayan region of Garhwal Division, Uttarakhand. Nag Tibba Trek also know by another name to the Nag Tibba Range, which is one of the three ranges of Lesser Himalayas, the other ranges are Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal.Dayara Bugyal Trek is considered as one of the most breathtaking highland meadows trek. Dayara Bugyal Trek in local lingo means pasture land at high altitude.Located in District Uttarkashi of Uttrakhand.Chopta Chandershilla Trek is a destination with so much to witness and relish. It is a part of Kedarnath wildlife sanctuary and is also base for trekking to Tungnath, Chandrasilla.
Tarsar Marsar Trek is a stunning trek with three alpine lakes- Tarsar, Marsar and Sundarsar which mesmerize one with their beauty.Kareri Lake Trek , a picturesque lake nestled in the laps of the Himalayas is a perfect destination for a weekend trek. Kareri Lake Trek is a high altitude, freshwater lake south of the Dhauladhar range in Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh.
Patangniya Top Trek is a sweet weekend trek and completely unexplored till now. Patangniya Top Trek is a complete package with the prettiest forests trails, dominated by pine, oak and rhododendron trees, lush green meadows, a small lake and stupendous view of Garhwal Himalayas.

Popular posts from this blog

Kedarkantha Memoires - 1st – 6th April 2017

Exhilarating! Breathtaking ! Absolutely Fantastic! Words fall short to describe the 4 days of trek to Kedarkantha summit , a journey, that was like a breath of fresh air, breaking the monotony of our mundane lives, giving us the instant boost and a treasure trove of memories! Want to pen down the experience, before it starts to fade gradually, till only the faint highlights remain, of what was one of the best experiences of my life. Day 0: We prepared to leave for Dehradun by train from New Delhi.  Sleepy, since the train scheduled to depart at 11:50 PM, is usually late by 15-20 mins. Day 1: Reached Dehradun. Pickup organized by Indiahkes team. Dehradun station is the pickup point for several treks – Nag Tibba, Har Ki Dun & Kedarkantha. Seeing fellow trekkers, with the standard decathlon gear gives rise to a feeling of camaraderie. Couple of enquiries later, 3 of us are in a bolero, accompanied by 2 guys from Indore, on our way to a quaint village by the nam

This & That

Hhhmmm…. Starting the post with a quick update. The worst thing that could have happened to me, took place on the fateful evening of 27 th June, when the office order for change in existing seating arrangement was circulated. Uprooted from my cozy place…where I could spend my free time browsing my favourite Sites …catching up with friends etc, now I sit (uncomfortably) with my computer screen clearly visible to the prying eyes of passersby. Review presentation over. Was something of a task…..describing the value addition in me (where there had been none) and giving details of the (managerial) activities I’d been involved in during the past year ( where all I’d done was donkey’s work). Another bit of news, that made my day, was when I got to know that my friend is expecting. The one who was with me in school centuries ago… God!! How fast time flies. Nothing very great happening on the personal front. Guess that sums it up. Now coming back to where I s

Losing A Piece of My Soul...

I came to you the hour I was in pain Looking for answers, I cried to you in vain. I shared the many skeletons hiding in my heart,I knew then you'd be my friend, I knew it from the start. Troubles ran like rivers, flowing through my life, You picked the pieces up and help me through my strife. When home wasn't home to me no more, You opened up your heart, and opened up the door. We cried into night until the early morn. We solaced each other's pain and shared our many thorns. As time flew, the air grew thick, I saw our friendship fading, and my heart grew sick. The day had arrived,When it was time to say goodbye. Now I sit alone,reminiscing the past I'd blown .